Name:
    Location: Colorado, United States

    35-year-old mother of two, wife of one, instructor at a university and free-lance writer, editor, researcher. I promise, I'm more fascinating than this "about me" and my favorites.

Previous Posts Blogs That I Read
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from laura e. Make your own badge here.

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

Thursday, October 21, 2004

Giving thanks

OK, OK I got the message. It might be some time before I take for granted my (usually) healthy daughters and my amazing husband.

To start my day a student came by looking for another prof, her eyes were red and swollen and she didn't look steady on her feet. She was worried about the attendance policy because, "My son died in Iraq yesterday." To paraphrase a friend, no way would I even be pulling myself out of bed for God knows how long, but she's there making sure she won't be penalized in her class as she handles funeral arrangements. I locked myself in my office and cried for her loss.

Later, I talked to another student who is a single mother of a child with multiple disabilities. I can't imagine having to raise healthy children without my husband, who happens to be my best friend, my partner, and along with the girls my EVERYTHING, but to be a caregiver for a child who is not progressing toward an independent adulthood. I can't even imagine her burden. Never mind that she's a full-time college student right now. When she talked about feeling like she might not survive the semester, I felt ridiculous for thinking at any point that I'm struggling.

Tonight I am so very thankful for my family.

posted by Laura at 5:54 PM |

0 Comments:

Go Ahead, Share Your Thoughts! Post a Comment.

TAKE ME BACK TO THE MAIN PAGE...

powered by blogger | designed by mela
art by kristine & tackarama.com
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com