Name:
    Location: Colorado, United States

    35-year-old mother of two, wife of one, instructor at a university and free-lance writer, editor, researcher. I promise, I'm more fascinating than this "about me" and my favorites.

Previous Posts Blogs That I Read
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from laura e. Make your own badge here.

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

Monday, November 22, 2004

B-b-b-benny!

When I was a kid, I just LOVED "Benny & the Jets." Listening now, I'm not sure why, but it was my FAVORITE. ALL. TIME. SONG. "Movin' Out" was a close second.

Ever since Maxine got a personal CD player for her birthday in June, the girls have developed a very strong interest in all things music. When they're behind closed doors in Max's room, they're listening to CDs and dancing. They cannot get enough music. (Max shocked us one night while B was channel-surfing: He cruised right by CMT, but Max screams, "GO BACK TO THAT!" It was the Kenny Chesney-Uncle Kracker song, she made us listen to the whole thing and declared: I want that CD.

Last week I decided it was time for a CD mixup in the car and I put in Elton John's Greatest Hits (the very first version) and introduced the girls to the wonder of "Benny & the Jets." They both said they liked the song. To what extent I wasn't sure until this morning when Madi said, "Mom, play 'Benny & the Jets.'"

I know this power to influence their tastes in music won't last long. The forces of evil (Britney Spears, Hilary Duff, etc.) are very strong. Luckily the forces of good have already made an impression (Madi LOVES Norah Jones).

With that in mind, I must develop a play list for these impressionable girls (I admit, "B&TJ" isn't exactly the best use of this influence). Of course I'll play The Beatles. Of course I'll play The Clash. But what else? What would you play to help ensure kids will grow up with discriminating musical tastes?



posted by Laura at 9:01 AM |

0 Comments:

Go Ahead, Share Your Thoughts! Post a Comment.

TAKE ME BACK TO THE MAIN PAGE...

powered by blogger | designed by mela
art by kristine & tackarama.com
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com