Name:
    Location: Colorado, United States

    35-year-old mother of two, wife of one, instructor at a university and free-lance writer, editor, researcher. I promise, I'm more fascinating than this "about me" and my favorites.

Previous Posts Blogs That I Read
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from laura e. Make your own badge here.

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Call the grammar police

On the syllabus for each and every class I teach, I should put a disclaimer: Do as I say, not as I do.

Given that I teach a couple varities of writing, you'd think my grammar in all my communication would/should be perfect. But let me loose in email and I'm out of control! Yes, I abuse exclamation points! Sometimes I'll have a brief moment of clarity, and I'll look at the email message I just typed and I'll notice that EVERY sentence ends in ! Then I'll quickly go back and I'll pick and choose the sentences that really deserve the emphatic ending. Another abusee are ellipses ... apparently if I can't end my sentence with a slammer, I'd rather just not end it.

If I were saying what I'm typing, I guarantee I would not be saying it with such enthusiasm (though I might trail off from time to time).

In my defense, I will say that I have NEVER used multiple exclamation points. (I once worked in a recording studio with an ad exec, she taught me the sure way to make great advertising was to add extra exclamation points!!!)

posted by Laura at 1:19 PM |

0 Comments:

Go Ahead, Share Your Thoughts! Post a Comment.

TAKE ME BACK TO THE MAIN PAGE...

powered by blogger | designed by mela
art by kristine & tackarama.com
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com