Name:
    Location: Colorado, United States

    35-year-old mother of two, wife of one, instructor at a university and free-lance writer, editor, researcher. I promise, I'm more fascinating than this "about me" and my favorites.

Previous Posts Blogs That I Read
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from laura e. Make your own badge here.

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Some days are better than others

Yesterday didn't exactly qualify as one of the better days.

It got off to a wonderful start, but that came to an end by about 9:30 a.m. Maxine's school had a reading at 9:30. The literacy teacher put out very cute anthologies of the kids work (poems, writing, art) and decided to stage a reading. Parents of the children who were scheduled to read were squeezed into a medium-sized classroom. It was crowded enough that I started to think, "Fire hazard!" With no amplification of the children's voices, my experience for the first 40 minutes went like this, "mumble, mumble, mumble, mumble" ... applause, next.

I really don't have anything against other people's kids, but I was there to see Maxine read. The real kicker of it was that her class contributed two works to the book, so it wasn't even her own individual work. And her teacher had try-outs for the kids to determine who would read. Somehow my shy, barely audible daughter made the cut. So there I was with about 60 other parents and their children, shoved into a room that would fit 35-40 children comfortably, not able to understand most of what the other kids were saying. In all honesty, this was the first "what the heck am I doing here?" experience in two years of school. And, of course, Maxine did a lovely job reading her portion of the class' poem. She said she wasn't nervous, but when she was done, her little cheeks were flushed pink. It could have been worse.

Speaking of worse. Madison was a little grumpy and out of sorts yesterday afternoon. By the time I went back to Nanny's house to pick her up, she had a fever. She wanted to stay at Nanny's over night, but with a fever we wouldn't have it. And let me tell you just how lucky Nanny was for that decision. The fever kept on burning, despite regular doses of Tylenol-like products and ibuprofen. It was about 2 a.m. before she broke it. She went potty and then told us that she felt like she had to throw up. (Call this foreshadowing, and call me stupid for being too tired to see the bright neon signs of what was to come.) She came back to our bed and fell back asleep.

Until 4:15 a.m. when suddenly I was startled out of a deep sleep by my poor baby puking all over the bed, and me, and her daddy. Seriously, she managed to hit the sheets, all 27 pillows I need to sleep, the blanket, my shirt, Brent's shirt, the carpet on the fastest route to the bathroom. Nothing like a predawn bed stripping to get you going. If someone had told me before I had kids that there would come a day when I could jump out of bed in 2 seconds, get control of the puking child situation, strip a bed clean, get a "vomit pot" and be back to sleep in about 20 minutes, I would have told them they were crazy.

Here's the silver lining. It looks like today should be a much better day. Madison is feeling so much better she's trying to convince me we should go to Toys R Us. And she thinks she's pretty funny for having thrown up all over her mommy and her daddy.

posted by Laura at 8:23 AM |

1 Comments:

Commented by Blogger bobo:


If someone had told me before I had kids that there would come a day when I would have a twenty minute discussion with a stranger from New Jersey about potty training outside the Ben and Jerry's factory then I think I would have sworn eternal celibacy.


11:49 AM 

Go Ahead, Share Your Thoughts! Post a Comment.

TAKE ME BACK TO THE MAIN PAGE...

powered by blogger | designed by mela
art by kristine & tackarama.com
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com