Name:
    Location: Colorado, United States

    35-year-old mother of two, wife of one, instructor at a university and free-lance writer, editor, researcher. I promise, I'm more fascinating than this "about me" and my favorites.

Previous Posts Blogs That I Read
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from laura e. Make your own badge here.

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

Monday, June 20, 2005

Retail revelations

We ran to the mall yesterday. Seems as though dead birds in a dryer vent might actually do permanent damage to said dryer. And there is nothing worse than going shopping for a dryer. It's boring. It might make my life a little better to get the laundry done faster, but it's a dry (ha!), dull shopping experience. All dryers are white. All dryers have timed drying and automatic drying. Some dryers are slightly bigger than others. But really, other than a huge variation in price, a dryer is a dryer is a dryer.

While at the mall (we were there checking out Sears' offerings in the dryer arena), I noticed that despite the fact that calendars say summer is just getting started, retail outfits say summer is over. Already they are starting to put summer stuff on clearance. The girls haven't even started swim lessons yet and I believe that it will be tough to find bathing suits in another week or so. As though summer doesn't go fast enough already, is it really necessary to have clearance sales before it's even started? But with Father's Day behind us, and a small advertising blip for Fourth of July, the next big ad push will be Back to School.

Of course, I decided to take advantage of some of the sales. And I am happy to report that even though the scale hasn't budged much since I started walking a month or more ago, clothes are starting to fit me differently. (I needed some encouragement like that!) I was trying on my usual sizes, only to find that they were loose. Thank goodness. I'm not out there every morning at 6 a.m. (regular walking partner is back!) just for my health.

Oh wait. I guess I am out there every morning at 6 a.m. for my health ...

posted by Laura at 7:49 AM |

2 Comments:

Commented by Blogger bobo:


I made the mistake of asking if they had any EnergyStar dryers or at least something more energy efficient. The sales guy looked at me and said, "It is a giant heating element connected to a blower and a motor that rotates it all around. Sorry, you're not saving any energy doing that."

How bad was it? A woman walked up to a police officer outside the White House and asked, "Excuse me, what building is that?" and the cop said, "Is that a trick question? It's the White House!" The salesman used basically the same tone on me.


1:12 PM 
Commented by Blogger Laura:


Yeah, I asked my husband if there were any Energy Star dryers, and he politely told me no.

Our utility company offers rebates if you buy EnergyStar products, but sadly that doesn't apply to the heat-blowing dryers.


8:11 PM 

Go Ahead, Share Your Thoughts! Post a Comment.

TAKE ME BACK TO THE MAIN PAGE...

powered by blogger | designed by mela
art by kristine & tackarama.com
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com