Name:
    Location: Colorado, United States

    35-year-old mother of two, wife of one, instructor at a university and free-lance writer, editor, researcher. I promise, I'm more fascinating than this "about me" and my favorites.

Previous Posts Blogs That I Read
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from laura e. Make your own badge here.

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Up all night

As the summer starts to run out, I'm giving thought to adding a little more structure to my days this fall. The beauty of my job is the flexibility, but it's sometimes like giving me just enough rope to hang myself. I put off what I should do today because no one's looking over my shoulder. I don't want it any other way, but I want to stay on top of things too.

I realized I'm a little more stressed about school starting than I realized. I have a lot to do before I'm really ready for school (the girls and mine). The way I realized this stress? Being up during the night. Here's what happens. I hear a noise or something to wake me up, just enough that the little wheels in my head start churning. Before I know it, the to-do list is building itself in my brain. Being a little stubborn, I keep trying to sleep while the wheels keep turning. I almost always refuse to get out of bed because that would be giving up the chance of getting sleep. At 2 a.m. when Pat Croce's Moving In, things seem so BIG. Parents are fighting with children, women are addicted to shopping, couples are on their third engagements and really the guy is a jerk and the girl can do so much better, but Pat Croce takes them by the shoulders, gives them a good shake and talking to and everything is better. (Sorry, guilty pleasure ... the best are his follow-up shows where three months later everything is STILL hunky dory for those who got the talkings-to.) Always happens that at 6:30 a.m. after a brisk two-mile walk, things in my life aren't a big deal anymore, the calls I need to make, papers I need to grade, rooms I need to clean ... suddenly things seem very do-able with the whole day ahead.

One night of restlessness, I don't even think about. Two nights bother me a little. On the third night I realize, hey I might be more stressed than I realized. Better get to work during the day instead of wasting time. Hopefully this is enough to make the fourth night a restful one again. I'll let you know tomorrow.

posted by Laura at 10:09 PM |

0 Comments:

Go Ahead, Share Your Thoughts! Post a Comment.

TAKE ME BACK TO THE MAIN PAGE...

powered by blogger | designed by mela
art by kristine & tackarama.com
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com