Name:
    Location: Colorado, United States

    35-year-old mother of two, wife of one, instructor at a university and free-lance writer, editor, researcher. I promise, I'm more fascinating than this "about me" and my favorites.

Previous Posts Blogs That I Read
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from laura e. Make your own badge here.

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

Monday, August 22, 2005

Civic duty completed

So I got my mailer telling me I had jury duty while I was scheduled to be in Las Vegas. You are allowed to postpone your service, so I did. Little did I know that when you postpone you are guaranteeing yourself a spot in the juror waiting room the next time (you become one of the first on the list that day you choose). I rescheduled for today. I was in pre-vacation mode, I wasn't thinking about the start of school (the girls and me) or anything else much for that matter. I just said, "Sign me up."

I showed up along with 189 of my closest neighbors (I actually did see one person that I know there!) and got in line. With just one metal detector, our county courthouse is not equipped to welcome the masses of public through the doors. About 30 minutes later, I made it through (I've never been stopped by an airport detector, but I had to get the wand here ... steel rods in my shoes, rivets on my pants, and who knows what else making me beep).

I was offended by the "gee whiz" jury duty video they showed. It could have been half as long and just as informative. They had man-on-the-street type interviews, with three people saying "When I got called for jury duty I was nervous." Believe it or not, everyone they interviewed had a happy ending. Jury duty changed their lives for the better!

But I was being a good citizen, other than keeping my fingers crossed, I wasn't about to mention all of the potential reasons why I shouldn't be a juror. I was also surprised at how little people pay attention to the directions. Things are very clear if you read: when you park put the pink portion on your dash, bring this part in, report at 8:30 a.m. There were people dragging in an hour late. They were showing up with the whole juror summons in their hands being sent back out to the parking lot to place the pink portion on their dash, and then they had to get back into the long line to get re-detected. They were not getting in line as more than one sign instructed them to. For an anal gal like me, this was horrifying.

Well, the good news is that by 10:30 a.m. all but 40 of the juror pool were excused. Though there were 12 judges on the board for the morning, the board cleared quickly and I was sent free.

My service is done for 2005.

posted by Laura at 3:42 PM |

0 Comments:

Go Ahead, Share Your Thoughts! Post a Comment.

TAKE ME BACK TO THE MAIN PAGE...

powered by blogger | designed by mela
art by kristine & tackarama.com
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com